Why Costa Rica is a Green Country
You may have heard that Costa Rica is a green country. While Costa Rica is not perfect, it is widely known as being an Environmentally Green role model to countries around the world. The country is a leader in setting goals and implementing laws to protect the environment. Not only is being eco-conscious good for Mother Earth but it also impacts the well-being and happiness of the country’s inhabitants.
Ever wonder how Costa Rica is making waves with its eco-friendly initiatives? Read below to find out how.
- Setting the goal of being carbon neutral by 2021
– 25% of the land is protected forests and reserves
– Made the list of top 20 highest biodiversity in the world with 500,000 species
– Implemented a carbon tax paying $65 a hectare for not cutting down trees
– 90% of its energy comes from renewable sources
– Prohibits recreational hunting
– Designates beaches with Ecological Blue Flags if the water and sewage ranks very high or excellent for sanitation and cleanliness